Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Welcome to the World, Baby Leighton!


Leighton Walker Stair
November 28, 2011, 8 lbs 2 oz, 20 inches

Start to finish, November 28, 2011 was the second most amazing day of my life (the first, of course, the day I married by best friend). It all started at 7:00 a.m. when the first (real) contraction hit as I got out of bed. It felt different than the Braxton Hicks contractions I had been feeling the week before, but I didn't want to get hopes up only to have a false alarm. Taylor left early for the office, as he had an important brief to file with the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals (his first experience was definitely memorable).  Even though I knew that today was the day, I insisted that he go to work and go about business as usual. I didn't tell him, but the second contraction hit approximately 6 minutes later after my first. Yes, they were already 6 minutes apart and continued that way for the next hour. My doctor's office didn't open until 8:30 am so I took a quick shower and threw all my packed hospital bags in the car (just in case). I was having a bit of abnormal bleeding, which was slightly scary at the time, so Dr. Joseph told me to come in right away. Next thing I knew, Taylor had arrived at the doctor's office and was quickly rushing me across the street to the hospital. Sure enough, our little girl was on her way!


We were quickly checked in at the hospital and Dr. Joseph followed right behind us to do an exam and make sure my bleeding was under control. I was only 2 cm but she went ahead and gave me an epidural in the event an emergency c-section was required. By 9:30 a.m., I had been administered an epidural (not as bad as I expected!) and was feeling pretty good. To this day, we have no idea what was causing the excessive bleeding, but it sure was scary, especially for me. And, don't worry, I made sure I let every doctor and nurse who came in know how worried I was. They insisted that everything was ok so I went about playing games and sending messages on my phone to pass the time... ohh, I even cut Taylor's hair while laying in bed (of course he didn't get the haircut I'd been begging him to get for a week). I didn't have much movement until 2:00 p.m. or so, then I went from 2 cm to 10 cm over a couple short hours and before we knew it, it was go time!

After a long day of worry and stress, we were blessed with an unbelievably easy labor. Dr. Joseph walked in the room at 5:00 pm to prepare for the delivery, I was set up and ready to push by 5:10 pm, and by 5:17 pm, we welcomed miss Leighton Walker Stair into the world!


8 pounds, 2 ounces

She came out crying. Little did we know that was a sign of the times to come... :)

Taylor and I got some time with her during her first hour of life before the rest of the family came in.  We just held her and stared at her. We couldn't have been more thankful that she was finally here and she was healthy and beautiful.



The grandparents, a.k.a. "the paparazzi," came in shortly thereafter to meet their new granddaughter. First grandchild for both sets of grandparents = one spoiled little girl!!


Meeting Grandma Wins and Grandpa Dim

Meeting Gran Jan and Granddaddy

Happy Mommy and Daddy
(they had no idea how many sleep deprived nights were ahead...)

We spent the next two days at the hospital and welcomed lots of family and friends to meet our newest addition to the family.




We are so blessed with the most precious angel in the World and we couldn't wait until we got to leave and take her home. We love you so much, Baby Leighton!